The history of the Food Center Amsterdam


Amsterdam Marketcity
From the onset of
Amsterdam, there are markets. The city was easily accessible through the water, and all products from oxen and sheep to roots and turnips were traded on the quays. Amsterdam has always remained a market town. The city now has approximately 20 daily and weekly markets. The Albert Cuyp market, the flower market and the market at the Waterlooplein are internationally known.

The period 1940-1945

The Second World War has demanded a very high toll of the
Amsterdam merchant class. Among them were very many Jewish merchants. Off them only a handful came back after the war. In 1940 still 3,500 trade licenses were issued at the end of the war this number was only 659.

Central Market
In recent centuries the markets in the city have ensured many nuisance. At the beginning of this century the potatoes, vegetables and fruits were traded on the quay of the Marnixstraat. The retailers traded with wholesalers, who were mostly located in the basements of the Marnixstraat, housewives also visited the area to buy from the merchants. There were few rules and there was hardly any supervision. The increase of car traffic created so many yams that the town decided it was time to move. In 1934, the Central Market at the Jan van Galenstraat was opened.

From potatoes, vegetables and fruits to an extended range of food
Initially the Central Market was only a market for potatoes, vegetables and fruit. In 1952, an additional line for the vegetabletrade was introduced (frozen produce, among others). In 1957 it was expanded to include a wider range. The residency law of 1961 lifted the strict separation between the branches. In 1968 the first wholesaler settled on the market. There were more and more wholesalers who extended their range of food.

From Central Market to FoodCenterAmsterdam
In 1954, the fish auction at the Ruijterkade moved to the Central Market. Because the abattoir in the eastern port no longer met the requirements a new abattoir was build at the Central Market in 1984. This created a new submarkets in fish and meat. The expansion attracted new retailers but also a significant number of buyers from the horecabranche and institutions like hospitals and retirement homes. In 1970 "typical customer" had changed significantly, the number of retailers had shrunk to 1000 and the number of buyers from the catering industry and institutions had increased to 850. This development also had implications for the name. In 1977 the Central Market was renamed in Central Wholesalers Market. In 1998, the council opted for a name that better suits our time, communicates better and generates associations with other Centers that strengthen the reputation of Amsterdam as a trading city. Equipped with a fresh and modern logo the market is since 1998 called Food Center Amsterdam. There are approximately 100 companies that can fill each Amsterdam' stomach with products from all continents.
 
 
advertenties